Friday 19 October 2007

Silver trails

When I came downstairs this morning there, just inside the front door, was a trail of sequins. Shiny orbs of silver that led through the lounge and, although thinning out, trailed into the dining room. I haven't vacuumed them up, not yet anyway. They remind me, not only of a great night out watching another of my children on stage, but that in such a short time, when my she goes to Uni, I will miss all the little things that drive me mad sometimes.
Now, I am blessed with a very talented family, from strange way out music from 'Ethnomorph', my eldest, to photography and gifted art and music abilities from all the others, but a guy that wants to get his Spanish degree and then move on to ..... circus school???? Hmmmm
One by one they have all left little mementos around the house that I have collected and treasure; DVDs, video tapes, booking tickets, flyers, tape recordings, photographs... juggling balls.
I shall collect the sequins and place them in a little packet with the tickets and programme from last night's show and they will take their place in my memory box among countless other sentimental but useless memorabilia.

As I walked through the dining room following the sequins from my daughter's dream I met another silver trail into the kitchen. The cat was jumping around and playing with something so I went to investigate the frivolity. During the night a small slug had found its way into the house and had failed to go unnoticed by my feline friend, how I came down to earth with a bump!
It all goes to remind me that even though I support my kids in their dreams I must help them to remember that no matter how many stars and sequins glitter their eyes there is always a slug trail on the floor to bring them down to earth again.

No comments: