Saturday 20 October 2007

Shopping

Well, ok maybe the sequin trail was a little 'twee' but this is creative writing after all. I do have another theory, maybe, just maybe, the slug was itself, or herself, on a shopping spree...

Disguised as a slimy creature, the small alien entered the back door by hanging desperately to the bottom of the laundry basket that had earlier been left on the patio to recover the said washing from the earlier blog. Its sole purpose was to ascertain exactly what kind of scran, nosh, edibles etcetera,were consumed on this particular premises, and was it more desirable than the compost heap where they had secreted their vehicle. I can only assume by the vast amounts of slime regurgitated on the carpet, the surface of the cardboard box from the understair cupboard was not to its taste. I just wonder what it thought of the discarded cat biscuit.
However, its mission, so sadly ended under the paws of the deadly black cat creature, all those poor starving slimebugs out there may never know what other delights my kitchen might concede.
Talking of shopping.... Saturday is shopping day. Am I the only female that really hates shopping? List in hand not wishing to forget anything, I dash into the supermarket and gather what I need, pay and leave the store.
Harry, bless him, on the other hand loves shopping. 'Just look at this, do you fancy trying it?' I answer really clear and strong 'No!'
It's the look they give... maybe I am soft, stupid, whatever, I give in. By the time we leave the store we have spent double what I had anticipated on and he is practically incoherent at the checkout re. the bill.
We step outside the store and he is quiet. I count... one,two, three. ... ten. ' We'll have to watch the money, we've only xxx left for the rest of the month.'
I smile sweetly, resisting the urge to say what I am really thinking.' Want a lettuce leaf to lick or something? salads are so good for you, it will be fine.' I reassure him.
So who is to blame I wonder, no doubt it is me for not being strong enough to say no. Mind you if I am paying it is a different story... economy is the word!
On the other hand, I wish I could be like my daughters. Check the bank balance... hmmm xxxx left so xxxx to spend. Not only that the youngest and most resourceful, has wheedled a weekend at her brother's and persuaded her sister in law that it would be great to do a sisterly thing and go to Worthing to buy what ever it is she's not sure she wants yet. But it's OK there is still a small patch in her room where I can tell what the carpet looks like, plenty of room for more clothes!
I do know the answer to taking him shopping though... I discovered it completely by chance. You know these 24 hour supermarkets? Greatest thing ever! We'd been at a party one Friday evening recently and it was around 11 0'clock as we travelled back home. Now Harry doesn't drink but I enjoy a glass of wine or two, maybe three and well it does make one do things that one would normally never even consider.
'Let's do the shopping on the way home!' I announce.Harry looks doubtful, 's'ok', says I happily, 'I can remember what we need.'
Now by this time he is just ready for bed but agrees anyway. Well, I don't actually remember all of it but we shopped, got back and unloaded and put away in record time. Harry I seem to remember was awfully quiet, but.... I had indeed remembered my list and put it all away in the right places so, my solution is to shop at night after a few drinks so I don't care and at a time when he is too tired to even think about shopping... what a genius!
Now I could have sworn I bought slug pellets??? M

No comments: