Saturday 6 June 2009

Alien monster plants.

I love my garden, my own little haven in the town. I sew seeds, prick them out and nurture them carefully. This year I am growing in pots to prevent the snails from attacking them, well at least try to stop them. As a self confessed murderess, I have no mercy. Harry goes for the salt and I am not sure who I am trying to get at the most, Harry or the snails. I stamp across the path mercilessly waiting for the satisfying crunch that means they will not have to suffer the salt torture. I feel sorry for them but it is a far more humane way. Harry shudders and returns the salt to the shed noting that he will have to do his thing while I am not around. He might call me heartless but at least my way is quick.
I had a little spiky plant in a pot when I moved here, there used to be two but one decided my green fingers were sadly lacking and it keeled over, turned a strange colour and died. Its brother threatened to go the same way until we decided to plant it in the garden as a pretty little plant. Nobody told us it was descended from a triffid. At nearly eight feet tall it decided to shoot from its middle a large multi armed beast that grew so big and heavy that it fell across the path with its weight. The monster then burst and became a gigantic ball of millions of tiny white flowers. It communicates with outer space you know... as you walk past it, the thing whispers and buzzes with a zillion little voices, either that or it is populated by as many invisible insects. Not sure which I prefer. I also planted near to it, a small weedy looking bronze fennel only last year... It failed to thrive and I was about to dig it up as wasting valuable garden space but the triffid heard my thoughts... within a few days it had started to grow and withing a couple of weeks it has become at least half as tall as the afore mentioned triffid type creature. Something is definitely going on out there but just to make sure we all keep safe, I am going to be kind to the big T especially as I have just discovered it is likely to grow into a monster of at least thirty feet tall.

No comments: