Saturday 30 May 2009

A Good Book

Ah, the weekend, time to relax, do some shopping and get on with some more writing. My book is coming to its conclusion now and apart from some editing, well, a lot of editing really, it has only a couple of thousand words to finish the first draft. I hope to get it completely done before we go on holiday. Then when we come back I can read it with fresh eyes.
I always feel sad when I finish things, it is really strange, when I read a good book and come to the end it’s like closing a chapter in my life and I miss the people I got to know in its pages. When I paint a picture, once again there is something missing once I have finished it, even the ironing… yes I know that’s really sad! but at the beginning of a great pile I have something to aim for, once it is completed I start wondering ‘what next’. It was the same when I went to university, how I loved it, having a purpose to aim for gave me direction. I was so proud when I completed it, the bonus was a 2.1, but then there was nothing, ok I went into teaching the subject I adored, English, but it wasn’t the same. The cruel twist came when arthritis robbed me of the ability to do even that, just one year before completing my teacher training.
Maybe that is why I am starting my next book as soon as I finish this one. I feel as though the characters are waiting for me to re-discover them. I know them already because I wrote them into a short story. Trouble was there was so much more to it that I couldn’t write under the restrictions of a short story so the ideas for developing it announced themselves. The characters have been calling me ever since I first gave them life and they gave me such a good excuse for my holiday…. Well I am doing some research aren’t I?
So looking back over my life I reckon I was born restless, with many things to do, to achieve. As I grew up I was a low achiever because of circumstances around me but I knew I wasn’t and now I have a drive to keep on proving to myself I am not that person. My friends laugh when I do the ironing but for me it is an escape into a fantasy world that sows the seeds for another story or poem. People say ‘oooh no studying isn’t for me, I hated school.’ will they ever know their full potential though. And those that allow a physical disability to affect the potential to develop their mind are wasting the fantastic excuse to achieve something wonderful. Meanwhile I shall continue to grow and aim for the goals I set myself. After all what is life but a time of pushing boundaries, learning and growing and I want to get out there and prove to myself and laugh in the face of everyone that said I couldn’t. The day I stop will be the last word of the last chapter in my life book and not until then will there be no more pages to turn but I hope that I might at least have sown the seeds of continuing personal development for the next generation.

No comments: