Monday 12 May 2014

The first thing on the radio when I switched on were The Archers, it took me back to another life with some amazing colourful people, this is an exercise right? Names have been changed.

Arianne lived next door to us in the converted dairy; a magnificant building that she had filled with antiques, huge family paintings and dark furniture.
‘Hello, hello, hello… oh hello!’ Her voice carried across the valley announcing to all the arrival of visitors. It didn’t matter if you were expected, unexpected or just been invited around for coffee, the silver spoon greeting was always the same. You always felt important when you met Arianne.
‘Come in, come in, come in! I’ll put the kettle on and we can share some time.’ It was ten minutes later when the kettle had finally been located and cups retrieved from piles of unwashed dishes and rinsed under the tap that tea was finally ready. She looked round the kitchen. ‘You don’t take sugar do you? I’ve just finished the latest chapter of my book, you wouldn’t mind reading it would you. I’d really value your opinion.’


I nodded and followed her into the vast hall of her dining room and watched as she swept piles of papers from the battered sofa onto the already cluttered floor.
‘I know it’s here somewhere.’
‘Isn’t that it in your hand?’ I offered as I perched precariously among the debris.
‘Oh yes, the manuscript but there is something I want you to see first, now where did I put it?’
She made no apology for the mess. Her favourite quote was ‘There are far too many things to do, things that I REALLY want to do, that I REALLY enjoy doing. Besides I have at least two days before my party.’
The back of her hair was as matted and messy as the room. I could pick her out in a crowd by the back of her head; well I’d probably hear her amazingly commanding voice with its rich plum tones that embraced everyone she met first, that and her dress code. On an ordinary day her dull baggy jumper clung taut to her ‘magnificent bosoms’ and mid-calf length black skirt. The remains of several meals adorned her front like badges of honour that she wore with pride. How I loved her complete escape from the real world.
‘Oh shit! Shit, shit, shit…’ I offered to help her look for whatever she couldn’t find.
‘No, I really wanted you to see this article before you read my chapter.’ She paused for a second. ‘Oh did I tell you what happened in the garden, do come, come , I’ll show you. I was devastated, devastated I tell you; I felt like the world was coming to an end! I was so really upset I thought I might die.’
Maybe I’d get to read her manuscript another time.

No comments: